The building — constructed from the 13th century to 1500 — was originally a Roman Catholic cathedral and is now a Reformed Protestant church.
To scroll through larger versions of the photos, click on ‘Continue reading’ below and then on any thumbnail in the gallery.
The harp at Nature’s advent strung
Has never ceased to play;
The song the stars of morning sung
Has never died away. . . .
The blue sky is the temple’s arch,
Its transept earth and air,
The music of its starry march
The chorus of a prayer.
So Nature keeps the reverent frame
With which her years began,
And all her signs and voices shame
The prayerless heart of man.
— John Greenleaf Whittier, from “The Worship of Nature“