Harriet Beecher Stowe, her husband, and guests on the porch of her home in Mandarin (Jacksonville), Florida, 1875, via Robert N. Dennis Collection of Stereoscopic Views, The New York Public Library Digital Collections. (Click on the image for a larger view.)
The author of Uncle Tom’s Cabin and 30 other books bought her Florida house soon after the Civil War ended. At the time of this photo, she was there seeking refuge from the publicity accompanying the civil trial for adultery of her equally famous preacher brother, Henry Ward Beecher.
There is another view of the house (no longer standing) here.
East Bolton Street, Victorian Historic District, Savannah, Georgia, 1979, by Walter Smalling for an Historic American Building Survey (HABS), via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
Interesting porch columns. . . . It appears, from Google Satellite, that the house is still standing.
Mr. and Mrs J. C. Williams on their porch, Eastpoint, Florida, ca. 1900, via Brown Family Collection, Florida Memory Commons on flickr.
The Williams were among six families who settled on a peninsula called Eastpoint, across the bay from Apalachicola, Florida, in 1898. The group called itself the Co-Workers’ Fraternity, and together the members pursued philosophical and religious study and farmed and ran seafood and lumber businesses. Land was individually owned, but profits were shared.
“Eny and Florrie in Canada,” photographer and date unknown, via LovedayLemon on flickr (used with permission).
Employees of a hotel, Fagernes, Norway, August 12, 1910, by Auguste Léon, via Archives of the Planet Collection – Albert Kahn Museum /Département des Hauts-de-Seine.
I thought it was worth showing even a corner of this really pretty pink porch.
This autochrome is one of about 72,000 that were commissioned and then archived by Albert Kahn, a wealthy French banker who was committed to the ideal of universal peace and believed that “knowledge of foreign cultures encourages respect and peaceful relations between nations.”* He was also acutely aware that the 20th century was going to bring rapid material change to the world.
Accordingly, from 1909 to 1931, Kahn sent thirteen photographers and filmmakers to 50 countries “to fix, once and for all, aspects, practices, and modes of human activity whose fatal disappearance is no longer ‘a matter of time.’”† The resulting collection is called Archives de la Planète and now resides in its own museum at Kahn’s old suburban estate at Boulogne-Billancourt, just west of Paris. Since June 2016, the archive has also been available for viewing online here.
*Collections Albert Kahn website. Also, the above photo (A 288) is © Collection Archives de la Planète – Musée Albert-Kahn and used under its terms, here.
†words of Albert Kahn, 1912.