A corner of the Whitman Garden, Bedford, New York, between 1914 and 1949, a hand-colored glass lantern slide by an unknown photographer,* via Archives of American Gardens, Garden Club of America Collection, Smithsonian Institution (used here by permission).
There are four more images of this garden here. It was designed by landscape architect Robert Ludlow, Jr.
The Archives holds over 60,000 photos and records documenting 6,300 historic and contemporary American gardens. At its core are almost 3,000 hand-colored glass lantern and 35mm slides donated by the Garden Club of America, which is the source of this image.
(Click on the picture to enlarge it.)
*The slide manufacturer was Edward Van Altena.
East Bolton Street, Victorian Historic District, Savannah, Georgia, 1979, by Walter Smalling for an Historic American Building Survey (HABS), via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
Interesting porch columns. . . . It appears, from Google Satellite, that the house is still standing.
“Unidentified Garden in Long Island, New York,” 1930, a hand-colored glass lantern slide by an unknown photographer, via Archives of American Gardens, J. Horace McFarland Company Collection, Smithsonian Institution (used by permission).
Thoughts of summer. . . we woke up to snow this morning in Stuttgart.
The Archives of American Gardens holds over 60,000 photos and records documenting 6,300 historic and contemporary American gardens. Among them are over 3,100 black and white photographs and 445 glass lantern slides from the J. Horace McFarland Company, from the years 1900 to 1962. The firm printed nursery catalogs, horticultural books, and trade publications.
McFarland was an author and horticulturist, as well as a publisher. He also became an important proponent of environmental conservation and the City Beautiful movement.
Mr. and Mrs J. C. Williams on their porch, Eastpoint, Florida, ca. 1900, via Brown Family Collection, Florida Memory Commons on flickr.
The Williams were among six families who settled on a peninsula called Eastpoint, across the bay from Apalachicola, Florida, in 1898. The group called itself the Co-Workers’ Fraternity, and together the members pursued philosophical and religious study and farmed and ran seafood and lumber businesses. Land was individually owned, but profits were shared.
“Eny and Florrie in Canada,” photographer and date unknown, via LovedayLemon on flickr (used with permission).