The Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool in July 1942. Two raised corridors crossed it and connected Department of War buildings. Photo by Marjory Collins, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
Along the sides of the water, under the trees, government workers were eating lunch on the grass.
These men took advantage of the additional shade cast by the structures.
The walkways were removed in 1947. The last of the buildings came down in 1970.