Steps to the dome of Mission San José de Tumacácori at Tumacácori National Historical Park, 1937. The park is in the upper Santa Cruz River Valley of southern Arizona.
The photos are part of an Historic American Buildings Survey, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The mission was built in the late 18th century by Franciscan Fathers and local Indian labor. In the early 19th century, Apache Indians attacked and drove away the priests, and by mid-century, the buildings were in ruins. Preservation efforts began in 1908. The building still exists as a National Historic Landmark.