A repeat porch from June 2014. . .
A gathering on the south portico (or back porch) of the White House, probably between 1890 and 1910, photographer unknown, via the Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The portico was built in 1824, principally from an 1807 design by architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, then Surveyor of Public Buildings. Latrobe was appointed and supervised by Thomas Jefferson, who loved neoclassical design and called Palladio’s books “the bible.”
The South of France
“simple and sublime”
on his mind
— Lorine Niedecker, from “Thomas Jefferson“
One thought on “The Sunday porch: late afternoon”
Ah, the days when the White House was accessible to all….?