The rug was a mountain lion.
Roosevelt purchased the land in Oyster Bay, New York, in the early 1880s and began planning the Queen Anne house with his first wife, Alice. But she died in 1884, and it was second wife Edith who moved into the newly completed home two years later.
Sagamore Hill was their family’s primary residence, except from 1901 to 1909, when it was known as the “Summer White House.”
Theodore died there in 1919, as did Edith in 1948. The family continued to own it until the 1950s, when it was passed to the Theodore Roosevelt Association and later to the National Park Service.
The house reopens to the public today, after being closed for three and a half years for renovation.