The Old Ursuline Convent was completed in 1753 in a French Colonial style. It may be one of the oldest buildings in the Mississippi Valley. It was a convent only until the 1820s, however, when the nuns turned it over to the Bishop of New Orleans and moved to a larger place in Treme.
At the time of this photo, the building was a rectory for the adjoining church of St. Mary’s, the home parish for the area’s many Italian immigrants. Today, it is part of the Catholic Cultural Heritage Center of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.