“Cacti, Phipps (Schenley Park) Conservatory, Schenley Park, Pittsburgh, Pa.,” ca 1900-1910, by Detroit Publishing Co., via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The Cacti House was added to the Phipps Conservatory in 1902. (The conservatory had been founded in 1893.)
Today the space is called the Desert Room.
There are two more winter gardens here and here.
Thousands of these gray-green
cacti cross the valley:
nature repeating itself. . .
— Brenda Hillman, from “Saguaro“