“A citizen working on Sunday morning in the victory garden he has made on the edge of the street,” Oswego, New York, June 1943, by Marjory Collins, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division (all photos here).
“Reports estimate that by 1944, between 18-20 million families with victory gardens were providing 40 percent of the vegetables in America,” according to Smithsonian Gardens.
Magnolias in Rochester, New York, undated, via Arthur Peck Collection, OSU Special Collections & Archives Commons on flickr.
Since the late 19th century, Oxford Street in the city’s Park Avenue neighborhood has attracted visitors in May for its display of blooming magnolia trees. There is another vintage picture of the trees here.
Arthur Peck was a Professor of Landscape Architecture at the Oregon Agricultural College* from 1908 to 1948. This picture was part of his teaching library of 24 boxes of glass lantern slides — now in OSU’s archives.
*The college later became Oregon State University (OSU).
Home of E.E. McCall, East Hampton, New York, between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915, by Bain News Service, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The house was a split level. You can see the two-story side here.
Edward Everett McCall was a Justice of the Supreme Court of New York. He also ran unsuccessfully for mayor of New York City as the Tammany candidate. He died in 1924, and his seaside house burned down three years later.
“Dog cemetery, Hartsdale,” New York, between ca. 1910 and ca. 1915, by Bain News Service, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The Hartsdale Pet Cemetery is the oldest operating pet cemetery in the world and the only one listed on the National Register of Historic Places, according to its website. It was founded in 1896, in the apple orchard of a New York City veterinarian.
Today, it holds the graves of over 80,000 animals, including the pets of Diana Ross, Irene Castle, and Mariah Carey.
The flower gardens of Lake Monhonk Mountain House, Ulster County, New York, ca. 1902, a postcard by Detroit Publishing Co., via The New York Public Library Digital Collections.
Lake Mohonk Mountain House is a resort founded in 1879 by Albert Smiley, a “passionate gardener,” and a Quaker deeply concerned with the cause of world peace. (From 1895 to 1916, he convened annual conferences on international arbitration at the hotel.) The main building, shown on the postcard above, has 259 guest rooms and is now a National Historic Landmark.