Vintage landscape: Louisville, Kentucky

Colonade, Louisville, Ky, park, Library of CongressColonnade, Central Park, Louisville, Kentucky, between 1900 and 1910, Detroit Publishing Co., via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.

The park’s 17 acres were owned by the Dupont family in the 1870s, yet open for public use as “Dupont Square.”  In 1883, the space — temporarily “roofed in” — was used to demonstrate Thomas Edison’s light bulb.

In 1904, the Duponts sold the land to the city, and Frederick Law Olmsted, who was already working in Louisville, designed a large open-air shelter and colonnade for the park’s high point.  The colonnade still exists and is undergoing restoration.