“Rothman family at their home in Skänninge, Sweden,” 1880s, by Carl Curman, via Swedish National Heritage Board Commons on flickr.
The photo shows Anders Nicolaus Rothman (who was town mayor) and his wife, Maria Charlotta (sister of the photographer), on the right. Their children are standing in the center. Notice the conch shells bordering the grass.
You can click on the picture to enlarge it.
“Christmas at ‘Ollera’ – Guyra, [New South Wales],” December 25, 1913,” via State Library of New South Wales Commons on flickr.
The photo shows members of the Everett and McKenzie families.
Driveway, Castle Hill, Charlottesville, Virginia, 1926, by Frances Benjamin Johnston, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The original house on the plantation of Castle Hill was built in 1764 by Dr. Thomas Walker and his wife Mildred. Walker was a friend of Peter Jefferson and later guardian to his son,Thomas.
At the time of this photo, the property was owned by his descendant, Amélie Louise Rives Troubetzkoy, a novelist married to a Russian prince who eventually ran somewhat short of funds.
By the fall of 1938, when future novelist Louis Auchincloss, then a law student at the University of Virginia, came to have tea with the aging princess, he found her living in “romantic, impoverished isolation in a decaying manor house.” To get to the house, he had to find his way through a double row of aromatic box hedges that rose up three stories high and were so enormous that his bulky Pontiac could barely pass through. The awe-inspiring hedges even became the subject of one of Amélie’s poems, which she wrote in middle age. She ends the poem with “Hedges of Box,/Hedges of Magic./…Behind your barrier of glad enchantment/I have rediscovered reality.” The reality Amélie envisioned had herself within the encircling wall of boxwood, still a young beauty of twenty-one, seated on the back of a unicorn.
— Donna M. Lucey, from “The Temptress of Castle Hill,” Garden and Gun
Today, the estate is still privately owned. Its remaining 1,203 acres (from the original 15,000) have been permanently protected against development by a conservation easement with The Nature Conservancy.