Newport Presbyterian Church, Washington, Franklin County, Missouri, 1939, by the Piaget-van Ravenswaay Survey, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The church was built in 1854. In the 1930s, Alexander and Paul Piaget and Charles von Ravenswaay made photographic surveys of early Missouri historic sites. In 1984, their work was donated to the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) collection of the Library of Congress.
The photo was taken by Gene Daniels for DOCUMERICA, an early photography program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is shown here with its original caption.
From 1972 to 1977, the EPA hired over 100 photographers to “document subjects of environmental concern.” They created an archive of about 20,000 images.
In addition to recording damage to the nation’s landscapes, the project captured “the era’s trends, fashions, problems, and achievements,” according to the Archives, which held an exhibit of the photos, “Searching for the Seventies,” in 2013.