“Children’s playground on roof of large New York [City] store while mothers are shopping,” ca. 1919, by Bain News Service, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division (both photos).
There’s a good article on early 20th century New York City roof gardens here.
“Penthouse on a skyscraper, probably New York City, ca. early 20th c., by Bain News Service, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
“Children’s roof garden,” Metropolitan Hospital Training School for Nurses on Blackwell’s Island (now Roosevelt Island), New York City, between 1915 and 1920, by Bain News Service, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
Click on the image for a larger view.
Christabel and Emmeline Pankhurst on the roof at Clement’s Inn, London, October 1908, via LSE (London School of Economics) Library Commons on flickr. A note on the back of the photo says that they were hiding* from the police.
At the time of the photo, numbers 3 and 4 Clement’s Inn† housed the offices of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), which Emmeline had founded in 1903. The organization was an all-female group campaigning for women’s suffrage and was known for its physical confrontations with police, hunger strikes, and arson. Christabel was Emmeline’s oldest daughter and eventually took over leadership of the group. At the outbreak of WWI, both women called for a halt to WSPU militant activities in support of the war effort and became involved in the “white feather” movement, handing out the traditional symbol of cowardice to men in civilian clothes.
There’s an interesting history of the Pankhurst women (there were two more daughters, Sylvia and Adela) here.
* A warrant had been issued for their arrest. After the photo was taken, they went down to the street and were arrested.
†Located about here. The Clement’s Inn buildings, built in the 1880s, were five to seven stories high and housed both offices and apartments. They were all demolished by 1977. The photo above was taken from the roof garden of the apartment of another WSPU member.
“Yonge St. Mission, Mr. & Mrs. J. C. Davis on roof garden,” Toronto, July 29, 1924, via The Globe and Mail Collection (Fond 1266, Item 3318), City of Toronto Archives.
John Coolidge Davis founded the Yonge Street Mission in the 1890s, handing out food and clothing to the poor from a “gospel wagon.” In 1904, the Mission purchased the building at 381 Yonge Street, now called the Evergreen Centre for Street Youth.