The north porch of the Vhay House, 835 Leguna Street, Santa Barbara, California, April 1934, by C. A. Fletcher for an Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.*
The Rafael Gonzalez House, which was owned by Louise and David Vhay at the time of these photos, was built in 1825. It is a typical adobe townhouse of the Mexican California period, with walls over 2′ (.61 m.) thick.
Gonzalez was a soldier and landowner when he built the house for his Italian bride. He became mayor or alcalde of Santa Barbara in 1829. His daughter, Salome, inherited the home in 1866 and lived there until 1923.
The Vhays restored and enlarged the house. It is now occupied by Randall House Rare Books.
The house was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
. . . — for a sec
he even sees the calla lily’s furl
in the gesture of voilà!
*All photos and drawings here, except the last image, via Vhay House HABS, Library of Congress.