The autochrome above is one of about seventy-two thousand that were commissioned and then archived by Albert Kahn, a wealthy French banker, between 1909 and 1931. Kahn sent thirteen photographers and filmmakers to fifty countries “to fix, once and for all, aspects, practices, and modes of human activity whose fatal disappearance is no longer ‘a matter of time.'”* The resulting collection is called Archives de la Planète and now resides in its own museum at Kahn’s old suburban estate at Boulogne-Billancourt, just west of Paris. Since June 2016, the archive has also been available for viewing online here.
So many little faces. . .
Garden and wall of the Old Curiosity Shop, Ballarat, Australia, ca. 1895, via Museum Victoria.
“Little girls would bring their broken dolls to Mr Warwick for him to mortar into this wall,” according to the museum’s online catalogue.
The photo (and the one below) were contributed by Mrs Wilma Mahoney to The Biggest Family Album of Australia project.