“Untitled,” taken between 1935 and 1942 for U.S. Farm Security Administration or Office of War, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
In the Library’s online catalogue, this picture is among photos taken by Edwin Rosskam of farms in New Jersey in Spring 1938. Click on the image for a better view.
Cross and coquelicots, Écardenville-sur-Eure, Normandy, France, June 30, 1920, by Georges Chevalier, via Archives of the Planet Collection – Albert Kahn Museum /Département des Hauts-de-Seine.
This autochrome is one of about seventy-two thousand that were commissioned and then archived by Albert Kahn, a wealthy French banker and pacifist, between 1909 and 1931. Kahn sent thirteen photographers and filmmakers to fifty countries “to fix, once and for all, aspects, practices, and modes of human activity whose fatal disappearance is no longer ‘a matter of time.'”* The resulting collection is called Archives de la Planète and now resides in its own museum at Kahn’s old suburban estate at Boulogne-Billancourt, just west of Paris. Since June 2016, the archive has also been available for viewing online here.
*words of Albert Kahn, 1912. Also, the above photo (A 22 388) is © Collection Archives de la Planète – Musée Albert-Kahn and used under its terms, here.
“Pau from Jurançon, Pyrenees, France,” between ca. 1890 and ca. 1900, by Detroit Publishing Co., via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
The image is part of the Library’s collection of photochroms, which includes many views of the architecture, monuments, and landscapes of France.