More big (boxwood) love. . .
The house is more often called the Nelson House for the family that built it in the 1740s and owned it throughout the 19th century. George and Adele Blow purchased it and began to restore it in 1914. In 1968, it became a National Park Service site.
The front of Nelson House in 1915. This photo is part of an Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS).
(There’s a photo of the front of the house and the younger boxwoods in 1862 here.)
The garden during the Blow’s ownership was designed by Charles Freeman Gillette, a landscape architect known for working in the Colonial Revival style. Today, little remains. The giant boxwoods at the front of the house are gone.
*All photos here via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.