An encore porch from 2013. . . Front porch, near the Koyukuk River at Wiseman Creek, Wiseman, Alaska, July 1984, by Jet Lowe for an Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS), via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division (all photos here).
For over six decades, this little porch sheltered many hours of masculine conviviality. In 1913, it fronted the Siverly and Bowker Saloon. The following year, the building was sold to a fraternal organization, Pioneers of Alaska, and then used as one of its local chapters — an “Igloo;” it was Igloo No. 8.
By 1972, the building had been sold again. At the time of these photos, it was the home of the owner’s son.
Above: the back porch and entrance to the kitchen.
“Mrs. Brandt’s home, Fairbanks, Alaska,” 1916, via Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division.
Fairbanks was founded in 1901 as a trading post supplying gold miners in the area. It became an incorporated city in 1903. “By 1905, [it] had electricity and sewer service, a powerplant, a three-story skyscraper, saloons, stores, police and fire protection, and a thriving “Red Light” district,” according to fairbanks-alaska.com.
This may be the home of Margaret Brandt, a widow who was a city telephone operator from 1905 to 1938.
The photograph is one of over sixteen thousand created or collected by Frank G. Carpenter and his daughter, Frances, to illustrate his geography textbooks and popular travel books.